Monday 1 September 2014

Life Changing

“The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it and join the dance.”
 
The turn of September always marks a time of change for me.  It probably hankers back to days when the turn of the month would mean new shoes, a shiny pencil case and different class at school. But despite those days being long gone I still get the same anxious excitement and nostalgic longing at this time of year.

The start of September always seems to bring a more dramatic change in seasons. Spring always creeps up on like a breaking dawn but autumn switches on like a light bulb. Before we know it the denim hot pants and bikinis are put to the back of the cupboard and the leather boots and black opaque tights are out.  The lazy summer days are long distant happy memories.

Christmas maybe three months away but the unofficial count down curtesy of XFactor has begun and I’m sure it won’t be long until Intsagram goes crazy with pictures of red coffee cups set on the back drop of some russet fallen leaves.

Change can often be difficult to deal with, as much as I like to think I’m a free spirit full of spontaneity, in truth I am a creature of habit. I’ve enjoyed the ritual of constancy living with the same person for almost four years, working in the same office for nearly three years and seeking sanctuary away from the city back at my parents in the countryside for almost a decade. But this autumn much of that is set to change.

Back in January 2011 I met an Aussie chick on the internet, within two weeks we had found a flat and for the years that followed we’ve shared domestic bliss. Who knew answering a ‘find a flatmate’ ad would bring such strong and valued friendship that I now consider her amongst my nearest and dearest. We’ve shared giggles and debauchery as well and tears and support but now it’s time for her to make the trek back to the motherland.

To add to this already traumatic event my dad has sold the family home, the beautiful cottage in the countryside which my parents lovingly restored. So many memories and amazing family times were spent within those 250 year old walls. I resented living there as a teenager for being stuck in the middle of nowhere with no even a pub nearby to attempt to underage drink in. But as I got older it became a place loved going back to for time out from city life, a place where I could enjoy cosy Christmas’ with my family or walk the dog for miles without even seeing another soul.

Cliché Alert…

But as they say all good things must come to an end and as one door closes another one opens. So cheesy but it’s true, with change comes new starts and exciting opportunities. I’m trying my hardest to not be consumed by the sadness of the end of these eras and instead think about how exciting it’s going to be to have not one but two new flatmates which I’m sure will bring many a crazy adventure. And my family and I are having a huge laugh sorting through our worldly possessions, uncovering old photos and retelling stories.
It's good to take time to reflect on great times, but it's not healthy to live in the past. I'm learning to break my habits and embrace this change. I'm not going to lie, I'm scared of the next few months without my best friend by my side as my partner in crime but I'm excited for what great adventures will happen as I go it alone. 
Bring it on September. 

No comments:

Post a Comment